Celebrate Black History Month with this fabulous Fried Plantain and Beans Stew. Here's how you can make it.
Friend Plantain and Beans Stew
Prep time 20 min Cook time 2 hours 30 minutes Serves 3 to 4
Things you need:
|6 medium sized plantain|
1 can (8-oz) of plum or chopped tomatoes
1 cup of sunflower oil
|2 fresh Scotch bonnet pepper|
2 canned sardines in sunflower oil
2 cups black-eyed beans
Here's how: Cooking the beans
- Put two cups of black-eyed beans into a pot with 3 cups of hot water.
- Cook the beans on medium heat for 20 minutes. If the water reduces, add more.
- Put the beans on low heat and add a teaspoon of bicarbonate soda, stirring until the bubbles have gone down.
- Put the beans on medium-low heat for approximately 35 minutes until the beans are tender. Do not add too much water at this stage.
- Once the beans are tender, turn off the stove.
Here's how: Beans Stew
- Pour 1/2 cup of sunflower oil into a pot and put on medium heat for 1-2 minutes for the oil to heat up.
- Dice half an onion and add to the pot once the oil is hot enough.
- Blend the canned tomato, 2 Scotch bonnet peppers and the other onion half. Pour into the pot once the onions have browned a bit.
- Wait 15-20 minutes for the stew to simmer.
- Add two canned sardines (you can also use canned mackerel or tuna) and wait 5 minutes.
- Add the pre-cooked beans with the stove on low heat to prevent them from burning.
- Add salt and/or powdered chilli according to taste.
- Leave the stew to simmer for 1 hour, stirring occasionally.
Here's how: Plantain (Fried)
- Remove the skin of the plantain by cutting both ends of the plantain and creating a slit in the skin and peeling it.
- Cut the plantain diagonally into small oval pieces with a thickness of 1/4 inches.
- Repeat with the other 5 plantains.
- Sprinkle the cut-up plantain with a teaspoon of salt.
- Add half a cup of oil to a medium sized frying pan and put it on medium-high heat.
- Once the pain is hot enough, fry the plantain, turning after 3 minutes, until both sides are brown.
- Place the friend plantain into a colander for the oil to drain.
- Serve with the beans stew.
Approximately two medium sized plantains serve 1.
You can eat the stew with rice instead of the plantains.