Clubs & Societies Affiliations
[Last updated: 20/01/2023]
Applications for new sports clubs and societies are now open for Term 2.
Should you wish to affiliate a departmental society, rather than a standard club or society, please visit this page.
The are two rounds of applications per academic year. Term 1: Sept - Oct, and Term 2 Jan - Feb
Students' Union UCL supports over 350 sports clubs and societies. They receive a range of support including funding, facilities, administration, banking and legal services.
Clubs and societies exist to provide a wide range of co-curricular opportunities and activities to Students' Union UCL members. The union will only consider applicants who meet the criteria below. These criteria exist so that the union resources are effectively used to maximise opportunities
How do I request affiliation to Students' Union UCL?
- If you want to start a club or society, make sure there isn’t one already existing that does the same activities, or is based on the same idea – there’s no point in duplicating. You can check this on the union website: Clubs & Societies Directory
- Read Guidance for Applicants and complete online application form.
- Get a group of UCL friends, or like minded fellow students together, to sit down and discuss what the basic activities and functions of your club are going to be. Will you be going on trips, are you discussing something, are you training etc?
- You need to choose a committee; this comprises a president, treasurer and welfare officer as a necessity, and you may want to think about a social secretary, a captain, a producer, editor etc. It all depends on what your club/society will be doing.
- President and treasurer are known as the principal officers of a club/society. No position sits higher on the committee than them and they are the main contacts with the union. You can only have one of each and the positions, unlike other committee posts, cannot be shared between more than one person. Welfare officer is mandatory post but not a principal officer. You can find out more about the responsibilities of each officer in our Rules & Regulations which you should familiarise yourself with before applying.
- Next you need to attract a minimum of 30 UCL Students to become potential members. At this stage, they don’t need to pay anything, but you will need to collect their names and contact information on the provided signature sheet and attach to your application. Physical signatures are not currently required as part of the application, instead we accept digital signatures or their name (as appears on their UCL Student ID) and UCL email address.
An affiliation meeting will be held shortly after the deadline. In most cases you will not be required to attend the meeting, only in rare cases where we need more information or further explanation will you be asked to attend.
Applications for term 2 2022/23 opened on 20 January 2023. The deadline for submissions is midday Friday 24 February 2023. Applications by online form only. Late submissions will be not considered.
All term 2 submissions should be considered by the Activities Executive the week commencing 20 March 2023. Applicants should be informed via email of their decision by the end of term 2.
No new affiliation requests will be granted prior to this date.
If you have any questions to queries regarding the additional criteria please contact [email protected]
Please make sure you are logged in with you UCL username and password before clicking on Apply Now, or you will not be able to view the application form.