Family Befrienders provide whole family support to families who are often facing multiple hardships. Volunteers will meet with their family weekly or fortnightly for a period of 6-12 months. Our volunteers befriend a family, to improve their self-confidence, emotional health, and wellbeing, reducing their social isolation and promote their independence. With encouragement and support, volunteers will aim to help families discover their strengths, build confidence, and resolve difficulties.
Activities might include
- supporting a parent to take their children on days out
- Helping to strengthen family relationships
- Providing a listening ear
- Helping family members to build confidence in themselves
What type of volunteers are we looking for?
Family Friends volunteers come from a wide variety of backgrounds and are selected for their qualities of warmth and understanding.
- Are you someone who can offer a listening ear?
- Are you able to withhold judgement?
- Do you like trying new things?
- Can you spare a few hours weekly
- Are you willing to travel in Central West London?
If that sounds like you, please get in touch!
- To visit a family with whom you have been matched, building a relationship of friendship and trust
- Complete a feedback form after each visit and to participate in regular supervision with your Coordinator
- To uphold organisation name core principles, vision, culture and values and abide by Family Friends policies and procedures
We run training approximately 5 times annual, please get in touch to find out when the next induction session is taking place.