Everything you need to know about the General Election Find out more

Please expand the sections below for further information. 

UCL Resources:

UCL Student Support and Wellbeing

Website: https://www.ucl.ac.uk/students/student-support-and-wellbeing

Address: 27-28 Gordon Street, London WC1H 0AH

Services available:

  • Accessing counselling
  • Drop in sessions
  • Staying safe in London
  • Disability support
  • Suicide prevention, and more.
UCL Student Psychological and Counselling Services

Website: https://www.ucl.ac.uk/student-psychological-services/index

Address: 3 Taviton St, London WC1H 0BT

Telephone: 020 7679 1487

Services available:

  • Accessing counselling
  • Crisis support
  • External counselling
  • Self help resources, and more.
UCL Student Disability Services

Website: https://www.ucl.ac.uk/disability

Address: Student Support Centre, Institute of Education, Bedford Square

Telephone: 020 7679 0100

Services available:

  • Financial support
  • Academic support
  • Counselling service
  • Accommodation support, and more.
UCL Report and Support

Website: https://report-support.ucl.ac.uk/

Email: [email protected]

Services available:

  • Financial support
  • Report Bullying
  • Report Harassment
  • Report sexual misconduct 
UCL Student Funding Team

Website: https://www.ucl.ac.uk/scholarships/contact-student-funding

Email: [email protected]

Address: Gower St, Chadwick Building

Tel: +44 (0)20 7679 0004

Services available:

  • Funding support
  • Accommodation support
  • Self help resources, and more. 
UCL 24/7 Student Support Line

Website:  https://www.ucl.ac.uk/students/support-and-wellbeing/evening-and-weekend-support

Email: N/A - Phone service

Tel: +44 (0) 808 238 0077

Services available:

  • Talk through homesickness
  • Discuss exam stress
  • Chat about relationship problems
  • Help with traumatic incidents
  • Bullying and harassment, and more.

General Help and Advice:

Academic Support, Advice and Information

Find out more about academic support, advice and information available to you.

Academic Issues: https://studentsunionucl.org/help-and-advice/academic-issues

Academic Misconduct: https://studentsunionucl.org/help-and-advice/academic-support/academic-misconduct

Extenuating Circumstances: https://studentsunionucl.org/help-and-advice/academic-support/extenuating-circumstances

Interruption and Withdrawal from Studies: https://studentsunionucl.org/help-and-advice/academic-support/interruption-and-withdrawal

Student Complaints Procedure: https://studentsunionucl.org/help-and-advice/academic-issues/student-complaints-procedure

UCL Disciplinary Code and Procedure: https://studentsunionucl.org/help-and-advice/academic-support/ucl-disciplinary-code-and-procedure

Student Health and Wellbeing

For advice on looking after your personal health and wellbeing, visit this page: https://studentsunionucl.org/help-and-advice/personal-health-and-wellbeing

If you are a student carer, visit this page for advice on personal health and wellbeing: https://studentsunionucl.org/help-and-advice/personal-health-and-wellbeing/student-parents-and-carers


Visit these pages for more tips, advice and information on how to stay safe.

For General Safety: https://studentsunionucl.org/help-and-advice/safety

For Traveling at Night: https://studentsunionucl.org/help-and-advice/safety/travelling-at-night

For Students Experiencing Stalking: https://studentsunionucl.org/help-and-advice/safety/students-experiencing-stalking

In an emergency, you can call 999 for the emergency services, or 101 for the non-emergency police service. 

Hate Crime Reporting

If you need advice on reporting a hate crime or incident, you can get more information here: https://studentsunionucl.org/help-and-advice/hate-crime-reporting

Report a hate crime or incident here: https://studentsunionucl.org/forms/report-hate-crime-or-hate-incident

In an emergency, you can call 999 for the emergency services, or 101 for the non-emergency police service. 

Employment, Housing and Accommodation Rights

It is important to know your rights in order to support your wellbeing. See the following pages for advice on work, housing and accommodation.

Student's Rights at Work: https://studentsunionucl.org/jobshop/students-guide-to-rights-at-work

Employment Rights: https://studentsunionucl.org/help-and-advice/money/guide-to-employment

Housing and Accommodation Rights: https://studentsunionucl.org/help-and-advice/housing-and-accommodation

How to Self-Define

The Student Union has many groups for students to join, some of which you need to meet certain criteria to lead. To do this, you may be wondering how to self-define your identity.

Have Your Say

Do you want to make your voice heard in welfare and wellbeing? Find out how to share your ideas in the Welfare and Community Zone here: https://studentsunionucl.org/make-change/have-your-say/your-ideas/welfare-community-zone

Financial Support and Advice:

Hardship Funding

If a lack of funding is affecting your studies, causing stress or damaging your mental health, then you can apply for financial support here:


Postgraduate Funding

If you are a postgraduate student, there is a range of resources and advice available to support your funding. See more here:


Financial Advice

Navigating finances can be difficult, so we have put together information to help you navigate.

For general money and debt management: https://studentsunionucl.org/help-and-advice/money-and-debt

For managing debt: https://studentsunionucl.org/help-and-advice/money/managing-debt

For budgeting: https://studentsunionucl.org/help-and-advice/money-and-debt/budgeting-and-managing-your-income

For general financial support: https://studentsunionucl.org/help-and-advice/money/student-financial-support

External Resources:

Samaritans – mental health support

Samaritans offer a safe place for you to talk any time you like about whatever’s getting to you. They can help you explore your options, understand your problems better, or they can just be there to listen. You can call the Samaritans 24 hours a day, 365 days a year.

Website: https://www.samaritans.org/branches/central-london/

Email: [email protected]

Telephone: 020 7734 2800


Mind – mental health support

Mind is the UK's mental health charity. Mind provides a wide range of resources and guidance for those wanting to explore mindfulness, how to practice it and how it can help with mental health problems. They have information on anxiety, panic attacks, depression, mindfulness, self-harm, sleep problems & stress.

Website: https://www.mind.org.uk/

Email: [email protected]

Tel: 020 8519 2122

Student Minds – mental health support

Student Minds is the UK’s student mental health charity,empowering students and members of the university community to look after their own mental health, support others and create change. 

Website: https://www.studentminds.org.uk/

Tel: 0808 189 5260, ​7 days a week from 3pm to 12am.

Text 'STUDENT' to 85258 for support. 

The Havens – sexual abuse support

Website: https://www.thehavens.org.uk/

Email: [email protected]

Telephone: 020 3299 6900


Rape Crisis 

Website: https://rapecrisis.org.uk/

Email: [email protected]

Telephone: 0808 802 9999


Nightline is an out-of-hours listening service for students. Their advisers are students themselves who have had extensive training to help them support their peers. You can speak to someone from Nightline over the phone every night of term from 6pm to 8am. They also offer support online, through text and through email.

Website: https://nightline.org.uk/contact-us/

Email: [email protected]

Telephone: (+44) 207 631 0101


Hub of Hope

Hub of Hope is the UK’s leading mental health support database, in the form of an app. It is provided by national mental health charity, Chasing the Stigma, and brings local, national, peer, community, charity, private and NHS mental health support and services together in one place for the first time.

Website: https://hubofhope.co.uk/


CALM (Campaign Against Living Miserably) 

CALM is a - charity leading a movement against male suicide, the single biggest killer of men under 45 in the UK. Their helpline is for men in the UK who need to talk or find information and support. They're open 5pm to midnight, 365 days a year. 

Website: https://www.thecalmzone.net/get-support

Students' Union UCL Resources: 

Students' Union Advice Service

Website: https://studentsunionucl.org/help-and-advice

Address: 1st Floor Bloomsbury Theatre, 15 Gordon Street WC1H 0AH

Services available:

  • Academic: extenuating circumstances, student complaints, interrupting or withdrawing from studies, disciplinaries, academic misconduct and the OIA (Office of the Independent Adjudicator). 
  • Housing: tenancy agreement checks, council tax, disputes with landlords or housemates, disrepair and return of tenancy deposit.
  • Money: applications for student funding, applying for grants, welfare benefits advice, help with budgeting, income maximisaion and managing debt.
  • Hate Crime Reporting Centre: confidential platform to report hate crime/hate incidents and independent advocacy support.
  • And more, including employment rights, consumer advice, personal support and wellbeing (including referral to specialist services). 
Role of Welfare Officers in Clubs & Societies

Role descriptions for compulsory officers are set out in the Students’ Union Club & Society Regulations.

The Welfare Officer

  • Shall hold office from the day after the end of term 3 until the last day of term 3 in the following academic year.
  • Shall be the only officer of the club or society with access to the welfare officer funding pot and is responsible for applications and initiatives using that funding. Note: expenditure authorisations are the responsibility of the Treasurer.
  • Shall be responsible for the activity specified within the welfare officer remit including collaboration with other welfare officers in creation of demographic specific activity, recording of demographic specific membership and aware of the wider Union campaigns relevant to their club or society, specified or otherwise, on the welfare officer campaign timeline.
Union Officer Contacts List

The Union has a large number of officers, both full- and part-time who are available to contact. Their details are here:


Active Bystander Programme

The Students' Union and UCL run the Active Bystander Training to tackle unacceptable behaviour at UCL and beyond. Find out more about the programme here.

Student Union Language and Writing Support

If you need language and writing support, the Union has a Language and Writing Support Programme to help. Find out more by reading the frequently asked questions or book an appointment.

Heads Up

Every year the Union run a mental health campaign known as Heads Up. Reach out to the Union’s Welfare and Community Officer to see what’s going on this year and how you can get involved: [email protected]

Student Activities Resources: 

Health and Safety

Make sure your club and society activities protect the health and safety of yourself, your members and comply with Union guidelines: https://studentsunionucl.org/content/president-and-treasurer-hub/health-and-safety.

Making Your Events Accessible

Find advice on how to make your events more accessible for higher engagement and more inclusivity.

Running a Project Active Session

Activity is a great way to stay healthy and happy. Is your club or society interested in running a project active session? Find out more here.

Start a Club, Society or Volunteering Programme

If you want to start a club, society or volunteering programme, you can find out more about that here.

Diversify your Activities

If you want some help diversifying your activities and making sure that they are inclusive, check out this page.

Run a Free Taster Session

Free taster sessions are a great way for students to try something new. To find out how to run your own taster activity, check out this page: https://studentsunionucl.org/how-to-guides/running-give-it-go-activity-event.

Club and Society Additional Funding

The Student Union has created a specific welfare fund for clubs and societies. You can submit an application by using the Additional Grant form and indicating that it is a ‘Welfare Fund’ application.


Knowledge base


Did you find this article useful?