Get to know Seyi
What made you decide to stand for election this year?
Having grown to love my identity whilst part of artsUCL I want to create a space in which others feel comfortable and able to grow and develop in.
What are your top three priorities from your manifesto?
Organise programming for highlighted months, training and creating sustainable actions.
What do you hope to achieve in the coming year?
Create a proper programme of events for Black History Month etc, continue sustainable actions to make actual safer spaces for those who feel Other-ed and integrate anti-racist and accessible training in clubs and societies.
What has been the best part of your UCL experience so far?
Cliché but must be done…the people, especially the artsUCL people as well as producing RENT as a Bloomsbury Production, a musical which centres the QTIBIPOC experience.
Your advice to new students?
Everyone is in the same boat, everyone is just out there trying to make friends and survive student life – remember that in the ways that you treat people…you’ll give and therefore receive good vibes!
Priorities and Projects
- 1. Creating a clear varied programme for awareness/history months
Clear programmes of various activities are established
Work alongside liberation officers and student officers to get more support
- 25/11/22: Successfully organised and oversaw Black History Month events such as an exhibition, panel discussions, artsUCL and TeamUCL events.
- 25/11/22: Currently organised Disability History Month activities, taking place now involving talks, coffee afternoon and crafternoon. Each network ran an event for BHM and have planned events for DHM.
- 2. Work with Liberation Officers on their priorities and activities
Supporting part-time officers' priorities and pursuing them when they are busy due to studies
- 25/11/22: Excellent engagement and relationship with student officers and regular check-ins
- 3. Work with Societies & Media team to develop more inclusive practical training for clubs and socs
Aid Clubs and societies to make their activities more inclusive through audio and visual means
- 4. Host regular spaces which are safe for students to talk
Create a casual safe space for students to talk about their experiences
- 25/11/22: I held a successful one for Black Students and will be holding space for Disabled Community at the end of this term
- 5. Leading on developing an equity and inclusion strategy for the union
Work with Policy and Research Team to gain more insight into what matters to students around EDI
Develop a new strategy and action plan
- 25/11/22: I am working with the Policy and Research Team to gain more insight into what matters to students around EDI. I have begun conversations with Dani, prioritisation of strategy chosen, and short- and long-term plans are being drawn up.