With 700 active members and over 2500 followers on social media (2023), UCL Tennis Club is the biggest sport society at UCL and one of the largest across the country.
We have a range of teams welcoming players of all abilities, from highly competitive to never-touched-a-racket-in-my-life players.
Our range of off court events throughout the year look like:
- Socials - Always held with a new weekly theme, our socials are held at the Rocket pub (on Euston) every termtime Wednesday (check the weekly theme on Instagram), followed by Team UCL Sports Night at Scala.
- Special Events - Held throughout the year, details to be posted on Instagram
- Team Dinners - We bond over food and on court <3
- Charity Events - On and off court!
- Inter-university Events - On and off court!
- Balls - The black-tie kind not the on court ones
- Varsity - Looking for our 5th consecutive win against those who must not be named ;)
All held throughout the year along with our training sessions, so there is something for everyone!
Now that we've convinced you to (at the very minimum) attend our off court events, here are our on-court teams and communities, places are open to all!
UCL Tennis 2023/24 Joma Merchandise is live to buy now!
REMINDER: You will need an active membership to attend the sessions during the year. R&D and LUSL Rec will have taster sessions in Sept/Oct. You can buy the membership once you have been given your Student Union login details. All memberships will cover social fees, no need to purchase the social membership if you have already purchased a R&D, Postgraduate, LUSL Rec, LUSL or BUCS membership.
RECREATIONAL / NON-COMPETITIVE COMMUNITY:
- Recreation and Development (R&D) – Available to players of all tennis levels. Provides relaxed coached tennis lessons, rackets and balls at our weekly Wednesday sessions split in Advanced, Intermediate and Beginner coaching sessions. Hitting courts are also provided for those who don’t want to be coached.
You define your level of commitment - Weekly sessions on Wednsdays 12-6pm at Finsbury Park:
12-2pm Intermediate Session (coaching from 12-130pm)
2-4pm Beginner Session (Coaching from 230-4pm)
4-6pm Advanced Session (coaching from 4-6pm)
Please only attend one session per week - We provide rackets, courts, balls and coaches for £45 the entire year, just be aware rackets are in high demand. Memberships will be checked at the door so please do buy before attending the sessions!
Postgraduate – Hitting sessions available to all postgraduate and master students.
You define your level of commitment - Weekly sessions at 12-2pm every Sunday at Finsbury Park (more information to be posted on main Instagram)
- LUSL + LUSL Recreational – 3 mixed teams with competitive players representing UCL in the London Universities Sport Teams (LUSL) leagues playing against universities across the London district. Balls and coached practice sessions are paid for in membership, own rackets required.
High commitment required - Weekly trainings + LUSL matches on Saturdays
LUSL Rec is a more relaxed version of LUSL and does not require a trial, attend R&D session in Oct and ask our coach or coordinator about LUSL Rec sessions.
- BUCS – 3 Men and 2 Women teams comprising of highly competitive players representing UCL in the British Universities & Colleges Sport (BUCS) leagues playing against universities across the United Kingdom. Balls and coached practice sessions are paid for in membership, own rackets required.
High commitment required - Weekly trainings during week and weekends + BUCS matches on Wednesday afternoons
2023/24 BUCS + LUSL TEAMS ARE FULL - LUSL Rec is still open!
BUCS NOTE: If you have played G1/G2 LTA competitions or Tennis Europe/ITF/USTA/COSAT/WTA/ATP/similar level tournaments please send a direct message to our Instagram account.
So now that you've seen all we can provide, come join us on court or at the themed socials every term-time Wednesday 9-11pm at the Rocket (pub on Euston)!
Keep in touch! Our main form of communications is via our social media and newsletter so do make sure to sign up/follow them. Our most active sites are our Instagram accounts, so if you have any PRESSING queries, please do not hesitate to send us a message!
URGENT QUIERIES please email our President or Treasurer directly (details below).
- Instagram: @ucltennis (main instagram account) + @ucltennisrnd (R&D account)
- Whatsapp Groups: Links on Instagram account linktree (in instagram bio)
- LinkedIn and Facebook: ucl tennis
- Newsletter: Check out our last Newsletter here: http://eepurl.com/hW3gor - Join our Mailing List: http://eepurl.com/hIpFub - Newsletters Archive: https://bit.ly/33hNbeN
Committee Members 2023/2024:
- President: Roberta Schofield-Martoglio
- Treasurer: Jodie Lawrence-Taylor
- Vice-President: Devlin Guthrie
- Welfare Officer: Rebecca Ju
- Management Officer: Stuart Li-Tremble
TEAM CAPTAINS - Competitive Teams
- BUCS Men's 1st Team Captain: Tomas Cores Birch
- BUCS Men's 2nd Team Captain: Jonny Markus
- BUCS Men's 3rd Team Captain: Oliver Abt McGregor
- BUCS Women's 1st Team Captain: Sofia Gibbon + Katarina Krajnovic
- BUCS Women's 2nd Team Captain: Louise-Marie Poirier
- LUSL Team Captains: Charlotte Burdon + Ezatul Syafiqah Mohd Nazri
- Recreational LUSL Captain: Kavish Shetty + Daniel Chan
TEAM CAPTAINS - Recreational Teams
- Head of Recreational & Development Tennis: James Kostas Ray
- Recreational and Development Tennis Coordinators: Quincy Ng + Sara Osman + Amelia O'Hara
- Post-Graduate Representative: Lucie Bezner + Alec Mearns
- Communication Secretaries: Elena Fitzpatrick + Lucie Bezner
- Social Secretaries: Maria Volkov + Oliver Abt McGregor + Nicole Si Tou
- Charities Officer: Alon Hannuna
- Newsletter Editor: Milla Nasevski
- LTA Ambassador: Leo Saiu-Bell