UCL Squash Club is one of the most rapidly growing and successful sports clubs at UCL, and the most successful University squash club in London and the South East. It boasts the most successful teams and one of the largest platforms for both beginners and social players. We have our sessions/trainings right on campus (Bloomsbury Fitness)Please purchase the free remote membership before attending any trials/taster sessions.
The bread and butter of our club are the social squashlings! We put on 2 free sessions every week (details to be announced soon) where any of our members can turn up and have a hit. These sessions are a great way to get into squash, meet some new people over a casual game, or hone those skills you've been working on! Not only is it a friendly environment to play but as the court costs are included in your membership, the sessions are amongst the best value for money in London! We are also part of Project active, which is a TeamUCL springboard for complete beginners' to have a go. Come along, racquets and balls will be provided!
We run weekly coaching sessions for team members with professional level 2-3 ESR coaches at Bloomsbury Fitness. We have 4 Men’s teams and 1 Ladies' team for 2022-2023. The teams compete in the inter-university (BUCS) and local London (LUSL) leagues at present, both consisting of weekly matches.
Thanks to our newly elected Community Officer, this year we are expanding our Outreach. We are partnering with Squash Squared, a charity working to promote access to education through Squash. We are going to organise fundraisers with them and set up a volunteering programme. On top of this, we are sponsoring a breadth of charities during thematic periods like Mental Health Awareness, Pride Month, and This Girl Can. Ask our Community Officer for information if you want to contribute!
We have regular socials off the court, ranging from sit-down dinners to the regular Wednesday evening Sports Night madness. Worry not, everything does not have to be alcoholic - we are going to have ping pong nights, inter-societal meet-ups, and other occasions to have fun while being active. Check out the Instagram page for the latest event calendar.
Are you a postgrad and wondering whether this will be for you? This year we have reserved one social squash session just for postgraduates as we want to foster engagement at all levels. Our newly elected Postgrad Officer will be there to assist you and promote all activities.
1. What are the membership options?
We have three memberships.
1. Competitive. You will become part of one of our teams and have access to weekly coached sessions with a professional trainer, get a subsidised team kit, participate in BUCS and LUSL, and have the best time of your university life by being in a Sports Club!
2. Standard Social. This membership covers the basics of social squash. You will be able to join at any given social squash session, get rackets and balls provided, and participate in our internal Squash League.
3. Coached Social. This is a new membership that on top of the standard social perks gives out bi-termly coached sessions and access to a buddy system where senior players help you develop your squash skills. Just for an extra £5!
2. There's a cost of living crisis - what if I cannot afford the membership?
We appreciate that prices might be a concern, and we have carefully thought our membership prices out. If you are struggling to pay, there is a means-tested Participation Fund which you can access through our Welfare Officer. Shout if yiu need any help!
3. Is there a chance to try out before buying a membership?
Absolutely! Get a Taster membership and join us at our tasters during Welcome Week. The timetable will be released on Instagram the week before. After Welcome Week, we can arrange 1:1 tasters.