Curious about nature? Passionate about wildlife and conservation? Wonder how this all fits in a place like London? You're in for a lot of surprises- and you've come to the right place. Established in 2016 by a group of students, staff and lecturers with a love for wildlife, we became a UCL Union Society in 2018 and we have big plans. We have created a platform to share ideas and to organise events and campaigns to raise awareness of issues concerning wildlife conservation, within and beyond UCL.
We host conferences and panel discussions with internal and external experts on a variety of topics, go on field trips and run a weekly/fortnightly bird survey on campus, among many other things. We also have collaborations that offer some hands-on experience in the conservation sector. We are working with different departments within UCL to help shape the University's sustainability strategy in areas of urban biodiversity, sustainable food and plastic waste. If you have some good ideas and want to get involved or you are simply enthusiastic about wildlife or conservation, we want to hear from you!
The UCL Conservation Society has the following key aims:
- To provide opportunity for students and staff from all backgrounds to interact with nature at UCL: educate, inspire, have fun. Importantly, we are a warm and welcoming group, and aim to create a safe, inclusive space for all to enjoy our activities.
- To use no single-use plastic and minimise the generation of material and food waste at all its events.
- To support nature conservation initiatives, research, and campaigns locally, nationally, and internationally.
- To promote and enhance biodiversity across campus, through the provision of habitat boxes, insect homes, and pollinator friendly planting.
- Campaigning for UCL to drastically reduce its use of single-use plastics across all departments by 2021, and proactively influence both the Student Union and UCL Environmental and Sustainability Policies.
- To promote the use of sustainably sourced and certified food and promote vegan, vegetarian and flexitarian options at UCL to reduce our impact on habitat and species loss.
- To continuously raise awareness, educate and campaign on the ongoing global threats of man-made climate change, biodiversity loss, and ecological collapse.
Keep up to date by checking out our social media (Instagram, Twitter, Facebook)!