The UCL Jitsu Club is a part of the Jiu Jitsu Foundation, the national governing body for Jiu Jitsu in the UK. With nearly a hundred clubs in our style and thousands of students worldwide, this is YOUR chance to be part of something big!
We're an inclusive society that welcomes people of all levels - whether you're a complete beginner or already an expert at martial arts. It's a great way to keep fit and learn about self defence, all while making great friends along the way.
- About Jitsu
The UCL Jitsu Club teaches practical, self-defence techniques that really work for anyone of any shape, size or ability. Jiu Jitsu is Japanese for gentle or yielding art – it’s based on the unarmed combat traditions honed on the battlefields of medieval Japan, but it’s been updated and revolutionised by modern practitioners. By using an attacker’s strength and momentum against them, and learning a lot about balance, intelligent striking and the body’s natural weaknesses, you’ll be able to deal with a person much bigger and stronger than you. And we’ll teach you some spectacular throwing techniques too.
Train with us to learn to defend yourself from everything from grabs, punches, and kicks, as well as multiple attackers, armed or otherwise, on the floor or standing. We teach not only the hard skills of fighting, but the soft skills that will help you think your way around a violent encounter before it happens.
Our trainings are held on:
- Mondays 8 - 10pm at Hugh Cubitt Centre, 48 Collier St, London N1 9QZ (near King’s Cross)
- Thursdays 8 - 10pm at the Bloomsbury Fitness Centre Multipurpose Room
- Fridays 8 - 10.30pm at the Bloomsbury Fitness Centre Mandela Studio
Our three lead instructors have nearly 40 years of teaching experience between them, and they take no money for teaching, so you’ll benefit from a lot of knowledge for very little cash.
Our focus is on self defence, but if you’re into competition, there are two national events each year, with hundreds of students taking part:
- Atemi Nationals (BUCS) - late November, Sheffield
- Randori Nationals - early March
Don't miss out on the chance to be part of club that has won an unprecedented 16 national titles. By joining our club, you'll become part of something big, established, and successful.
- There’s a lively social side to Jiu Jitsu too – trusting someone as far as you can throw them, which it turns out is actually pretty far, leads to solid friendships. We’re in the pub together after every training session, and we hold fun, wholesome socials every now and then. You can look forward to picnics at the park, movie nights, online trivia sessions and more!
To experience our trainings for yourself, come along to any session. YOUR FIRST TWO SESSIONS ARE FREE!