Give it a Go is a popular, well recognised scheme which gives students the opportunity to try something new. It appeals to and attracts students who do not currently engage with UCL Societies. Therefore it gives you a new audience to publicise society to - great if you’re worried about recruiting members.
You might be wondering what the benefits are to running a Give it a Go Event. There are lots!
- Reaching a wider audience and raise the profile of your society.
- Recruiting and interesting prospective new members.
- Benefiting from the Union's marketing channels including being a part of the Give it a Go Events Calendar!
- Additional staff support to run your activity.
- The chance to do something new and different.
- Receive support covering costs of activity for non-members
- Further support in finding and booking space for Give it a Go Activities.
To put on a Give it a Go event just follow the steps below.
Fill in the Give it a Go Proposal Form. Don't hesitate to contact us for support with this or book in a meeting to talk through your ideas.
You should contact the Societies Development Coordinator (Events) for more assistance with this.
We will get back to you to let you know if your proposal has been confirmed. If you have asked for specific support we will let you know what we can do to help. If we think you need to discuss your proposal in more detail we will invite you for a chat to go through the support we can give you.
Once approved, you can begin to plan and arrange your event. Check out the How To Guides for details on how to run events within our procedures, and let us know if you need any further assistance.
You will need to complete a Give it a Go Risk Assessment, this will be emailed to the lead contact for the event.
We will promote your event through the Give it a Go programme, the What's On Guide, Union Website, our Newsletters, Facebook and any other channels we can provide. You are also encouraged to promote your event, so please feel free to do this by including it on your social media and any promotional material you send to your society members.
Your tickets will go on sale at the Online Union Shop.
Amazing Activity happens here!
We will send you the Give it a Go sign-up sheet which you need to use to record who attends your activity. This must be returned to us via email within 5 days of the event.
After the event, let us know how it went, send us some photos and we will put them out online to show off the amazing things you have been up to!
Objectives and Terms and Conditions
Give it a Go Objectives are to expand horizons and enhance the student experience at UCL by:
- Encouraging more UCL students to take part in extra-curricular activities through society involvement.
- Running exciting and innovative taster events throughout the year.
- Creating inclusive and unique one off activities that do not require society membership to get involved.
- Encouraging cross society joint events which provide innovative experiences for UCL students.
- Engaging with hard to reach groups (female students, post graduate students, BME students and/or students with a disability).
- Encouraging cross cultural experiences through societies events and activities.
All Activities should be inclusive and accessible.
Terms and Conditions of Give it a Go include:
- All GIAG activities and events must be free or at a reduced cost for non-society-member participants.
- All activities are to be aimed at UCL students who are not currently members of the society (although society members can come along).
- All events should be aimed at students with low/no experience of the proposed activity.
- Risk Assessments must be completing and sent to the Union at least 10 working days before the event takes place.
- All events must have a Give it a Go Sign-up Sheet completing and emailed back to Carl Salton-Cox within 5 working days of the event.
- Events should fit into the overall objectives of Give it a Go.
If you are still not sure if your activity falls into Give it a Go, please contact us via email.