When visiting our bars, there are a number of things to note.
The Union bars strive to be a safe space for all who enter, by following these entry policies, you're helping to create a safer and more welcoming environment.
- Whilst COVID-19 restrictions are no longer the law, be kind and mindful that fellow customers may wish to continue certain covid-specific policies.
- It is against the law to smoke in our venues (and any enclosed public space in the UK). Please note, it is also against union policy to vape, or use e-cigarettes within our venues too.
- Anyone caught smoking in our venues will be immediately removed.
- Anyone caught vaping or using e-cigarettes will be warned once. Upon the second offense, the vape/e-cigarette will be confiscated and will be returned on exit. Anyone unwilling to comply will be removed.
- Entry/exit searches and the right to search whilst inside the venue is a condition of entry. An entry bag search is mandatory on select nights where you will be informed by our security team, the others will be at the discretion of venue management. Unwillingness to comply with a mandatory bag search will result in a refusal of entry to the bars.
- The last entry is at Midnight every day. This is a condition of our license and can only be changed when a Temporary Events Notice is in place.
- On occasion, we operate spot searches and full-body searches. Unwillingness to comply with a spot or full-body search will result in a refusal of entry to the bars.
- Students’ Union UCL Bars operate a zero-tolerance policy on drugs. Anyone found with illegal drugs will be reported to the police and most likely banned from all of our bars. Anyone found to be asking for drugs or offering drugs may also face a significant ban.
- Anyone found to be in possession of a weapon will be banned from the venue and the police will be called.
- We also operate the Active Bystander and Full Stop initiatives. Student's Union UCL does not tolerate sexual misconduct, bullying, and harassment in any form, if any of our team or the wider student body identify any of the aforementioned occurring during an event or beyond, it will be dealt with at a senior level and may result in a ban or more. For more information on this, head here.
- Customers should never bring alcohol in from external licensed premises if caught doing so, the articles in question will be confiscated without return. Likewise, when leaving our venues, it is not permitted to take any beverage out of the building in question, as it breaches our strict premise licenses. The Institute Bar has a terrace, at that location, the consumption of products bought within the premise may be consumed but not taken away.
- Only people aged 18 and over will be admitted to the Students’ Union UCL Bars. All persons under 18 years of age must leave the premises before 19:30.
- All customers are required to present their ID on entry at Phineas, Huntley and Mully's (The Institute holds a public license, so whilst we expect you to keep your government ID's on you, you won't necessarily need to present one on the door). Strictly no ID, no entry. Your ID will be checked by our security team as a condition of entry. In most instances, you will be asked for both a Student ID and to be able to present a valid photo ID (passport, foreign national ID cards, driving license or home office approved PASS hologram as identification and/or proof of age).
- We only accept a valid UCL Student ID or UK University ID; and where guests are concerned, passport, foreign national ID cards, driving licenses or home office approved PASS hologram (a specific example is the NUS Totum+ Card) as identification and/or proof of age. We only accept originals, we do not accept photocopies; this includes photos of an ID on a device.
- UCL Students can sign in one public guest per whole day, providing they meet the aforementioned entry requirements. The UCL student who signs in a public guest will do so with the understanding that if either they or their guest are a nuisance, they share the responsibility. In some cases, UCL students have been reprimanded on the basis of their guests' poor behaviour.
- UCL Alumni will need to present their valid UCL alumni card to gain entry to Phineas, Huntley and Mully's (The Institute holds a public license, so whilst we expect you to keep your government ID's on you, you won't necessarily need to present one on the door). If one does not have their UCL alumni card, they will be treated as a member of the public and as such will require signing in by a current UCL student, providing they know one another. More information on UCL alumni cards can be found here.
- Once in the bar, one should keep their ID on their person, as we cannot guarantee you won’t be asked to produce it again. Your belongings should also remain in your possession as we cannot guarantee their security throughout your visit - lost property often makes its way back to the bar, if you do lose a possession, don't hesitate to enquire with our bar team.
- Management reserve the right to refuse entry.
- Under management instruction, bar staff reserve the right to refuse service.