Whether you are an experienced rider or have never sat on a horse before, we are the club for you!
The UCL Horse Riding Club is dedicated to organising discounted lessons for UCL students of all riding abilities. Lessons take place on Wednesday afternoons at a British Horse Society approved riding school. Riding hats will be available to borrow at the centre, these are required equipment for all lessons. Adapted clothing is essential: no baggy clothing, long hair tied up, warm waterproof clothing in winter as lessons can take place outdoors, shoes/boots with a small defined heel as trainers are forbidden to ride in. Gloves are compulsory.
Keep up to date by following our Facebook and Instagram pages and subscribing to our mailing list via this link: https://mailchi.mp/e466a2206d36/uclhorseridingclub
Memberships available in the 2022/2023 academic year:
- Taster membership (free)
This taster membership allows for members to get safely involved in our welcome events before committing to a paid membership. It also allows for participation in standing and voting in club and society elections.
- Social membership (£25)
Allows participation for riding lessons (at additional cost) and in-person socials.
- Team membership (£155)
Membership for riders on our competitive teams.
- Beginner: These lessons are aimed at people who have never ridden before, or ridden very little. During these lessons, you will learn to start, stop, turn, walk and trot. This is an amazing opportunity to get comfortable with horses and learn the basics of riding. Beginner lessons will take place at Lee Valley Riding Centre. Weight limit (imposed by riding centre): 76kg Price: £16 (per lesson)
- Novice: These lessons are for riders capable of walking and trotting alone off the lead rein and who are ready to or learning to canter. The lessons will take place at the London Equestrian Centre. Weight limit (imposed by riding centre): 82kg Price: £35 (per lesson)
- Advanced: These lessons are aimed at more experienced riders who are comfortable in canter and who are learning to or able to perform lateral movements and jump. We aim to organise 1 jumping lessons per term. The lessons will take place at the London Equestrian Centre. Weight limit (imposed by riding centre): 82kg Price: £35 (per lesson)
Due to a limited number of allocated riding slots, we will have to alternate between the Novice and Advanced lessons from one week to another. We will let you know in advance via email and on our social media which lesson will be taking place in the following two weeks.
- Postgraduate beginner: These lessons are aimed at people who have never ridden before, or ridden very little. During these lessons, you will learn to start, stop, turn, walk and trot. This is an amazing opportunity to get comfortable with horses and learn the basics of riding. They are exclusively for postgraduate students. Weight limit (imposed by riding centre): 82kg Price: £35 (per lesson)
Essential information on how to purchase lesson tickets:
- For all Wednesday lessons: the first batch of lesson tickets (early bird) go online Wednesdays at 10am 2 weeks before the lesson and the second batch of tickets (last release) go online Wednesdays at 10am 1 week before the lesson. Any cancellation needs to be done before Monday 8am the week of the lesson.
- For all Saturday lessons: the lesson tickets go online Saturdays at 10am 1 weeks before the lesson. Any cancellation needs to be done before Wednesday 8am the week of the lesson.
- Those interested in taking club lessons should buy Social Membership (£25) and keep an eye out for ticket links, which will be advertised on our social media!
- In addition to the riding club lessons, we have two competitive teams competing in the British Universities and Colleges Sports (BUCS): one in the Championship League and one in the Trophy League.
- In these competitions, the teams compete against other university teams in the region, in both dressage and show jumping. Team members have regular dressage and jumping lessons at Lee Valley Equestrian Centre participate in BUCS competitions during the academic year, with a possibility of qualifying for Regionals (and beyond!) for no extra cost than the Team Membership (£150).
Socials and other fun activities:
- Other activities for all members are organised throughout the year, ranging from weekly Sportsnite socials, theoretical lessons and hacking trips, as well as many other events! Keep an eye out for these events on our social media pages!
Please feel free to get in touch if you have any questions, and we hope to see you soon!
Please note that since the social membership includes more than just lessons, we are not able to refund membership fees in the case that lesson tickets sell out.