Here at Red Star we believe that football is a universal language and a great way to keep fit, make new friends and let off some steam. In other words, we see it as the perfect antidote to studying at any level. We are open to players of all abilities who want to play in our 3 11-a-side teams and attend our weekly 5-a-side, as well as a host of social events and volunteering throughout the year.
What you need to know:
- Competitive fixtures for all 3 teams are played on Wednesday afternoons and Saturday afternoons, plus new this season the TeamUCL league on Sunday.
- Fixtures start Saturday 16th October.
- Home matches played at Hackney Marshes.
- We play against other teams from UCL and other London universities in the LUSL Intermediate league: 1s and 2s play in a more competitive division than 3s; who also play to a high level.
- Trials will be in held on Wednesday 6th and Saturday 9th October at Hackney Marshes E9 at 2pm, with coach transport fromUCL.
- Sign up for trials HERE:
- 5-a-side football is played at least one evening per week (You need to join our Facebook group in the link below. Sign up is done via a FB post every week.) Beginning September.
- We play at different pitches around London, but most often at Coram's Fields.
- Social events take place every Wednesday and on other certain days throughout the year. Beginning September.
Socials this year are going to look and feel a little different, but we are hopeful of a return to some semblance of normality. This means the return of such club favourites as:
- Wednesday night socials: what better way to wind down after a thrilling midweek game than with a couple of swift halves at ULU (Student Central).
- Get on your dancing shoes, Loop is back. The long-awaited return of the weekly Loop pilgrimage. Many Red Star veterans made names for themselves on these hallowed grounds.
- And finally... if COVID permits we will have our annual Christmas Curry Night, termly pub crawl, and other various socials, all info will be posted in the FB group.
Plenty more to get involved with, so be sure to join up and get involved!
From our annual Movember endeavour to our 2.4 Million Metre Challenge for Student Minds, Charity has always been important to us here at Red Star. After the tragic loss of one of our own, Matt Quigley, we wanted to be a safe space where people can feel comfortable to speak honestly with each other, even when things are going so well.
We have been working with the brilliant mental health charity, OllysFuture (https://ollysfuture.org.uk/), who will deliver some Ten Tools for Talking About Suicide seminars at the beginning of term 2. Tickets are available at: https://www.eventbrite.co.uk/e/talking-about-suicide-ten-tools-ucl-univ…
This term Red Star will be heavily involved in the UCL Men's Health Active Group, a new initiative designed to encourage young men to engage with and look after their own mental health through non-competitive sport; every Thursday beginning 21st October we will support UCL Amateur Boxing with free physical activity classes.
In honour of Matt we held a memorial tournament in June. It was a phenomenal day of football and a perfect way to pay tribute to such a dearly missed member of the Red Star community.
It was for amazing work like this that our previous president, Shiv Patel, was awarded the Oliver Hare Altruism Award earlier this year.
Our membership fees for this year are:
- £45 for the Annual Team Membership (5-a-side, 11-a-side, and socials)
- £35 for the Social Membership (5-a-side and socials)
- Online Membership: Free
- The Participation Form (https://studentsunionucl.org/forms/participation-fund-contact-form) can be used to help students to cover the cost of membership or other society related expenses.
If you have any questions then do not hesitate to get in touch by visiting our Facebook page (link below), Instagram (@uclredstar), or email.