Award Certificates are legal documents, so there should only ever be one in existence at any one time. This means that you will often be asked to provide a certified copy of your Award Certificate if applying for a job or another academic course. Unfortunately, UCL does not certify copies of Award Certificates, so you will have to seek this service elsewhere.  

Who can certify a copy of your Hard Copy Award Certificate?

To certify a copy of your Hard Copy Award Certificate, you will need to get it signed and dated by a professional person. You could ask the following if they offer this service:

  • Bank or building society official
  • Councillor
  • Minister of religion
  • Dentist
  • Chartered accountant
  • Solicitor or notary
  • Teacher or lecturer

The person you ask should not be:

  • Related to you
  • Living at the same address
  • In a relationship with you

You should always check with the organisation that needs the certified copy as they may have specific rules for who can certify a document.  

How do you certify a document?

To certify a document, you need to take the copy of the document and the original and ask the person to certify the copy by:  

  • Writing ‘Certified to be a true copy of the original seen my me’ on the document
  • Signing it and dating it
  • Printing their name under the signature
  • Adding their occupation, address and telephone number

If you do need to ask a solicitor or notary to certify a copy of your certificate, you can search for your nearest one here.   Please note that the person or service certifying the document may charge you a fee.