Skip to the main content
Degree certificates are legal documents, so there should only ever be one in existence at any one time. This means that you will often be asked to provide a certified copy of your degree certificate if applying for a job or another academic course. Unfortunately, UCL does not certify copies of degree certificates, so you will have to seek this service elsewhere.

Who can certify a copy of your degree certificate?

To certify a copy of your degree certificate, you will need to get it signed and dated by a professional person. You could ask the following if they offer this service:
  • Bank or building society official
  • Councillor
  • Minister of religion
  • Dentist
  • Chartered accountant
  • Solicitor or notary
  • Teacher or lecturer
The person you ask should not be:
  • Related to you
  • Living at the same address
  • In a relationship with you
You should always check with the organisation that needs the certified copy as they may have specific rules for who can certify a document.

How do you certify a document?

To certify a document, you need to take the copy of the document and the original and ask the person to certify the copy by:
  • Writing ‘Certified to be a true copy of the original seen my me’ on the document
  • Signing it and dating it
  • Printing their name under the signature
  • Adding their occupation, address and telephone number
If you do need to ask a solicitor or notary to certify a copy of your certificate, you can search for your nearest one here.
Please note that the person or service certifying the document may charge you a fee.