Grand Junction at St Mary Magdalene is a venue for community, arts and culture based at St Mary Magdalene’s Church, run by Paddington Development Trust.
Our mission is to create, foster and present an eclectic, collaborative programme of music, arts and performance for young people, families, and adults in our three amazing spaces.
Volunteers enable us to do so much more at Grand Junction. We’re looking for friendly and approachable volunteers to greet visitors to our vibrant community space and offer information and assistance to ensure that all visitors feel welcome and get the most out of their visit.
Our commitment to you
We value the contribution that volunteers make to our work. Volunteers in this role will:
- Receive ongoing training, including a detailed volunteer induction and training specific to the role
- Receive out-of-pocket travel expenses up to £10 per day, in accordance with the PDT volunteer policy
- Receive ongoing support from Grand Junction’s Volunteer Manager, and other Grand Junction staff
- Be supported to use their volunteering to access employment-focused opportunities, such as advice and signposting, where relevant
- Be invited to regular volunteer social gatherings, community events, and talks
What you’ll gain
This role is a great opportunity to:
- Gain on-the-ground customer service experience in a heritage and community setting
- Develop new skills and increase confidence
- Meet like-minded people, and make friends!
- Contribute to the development and delivery of cultural activities for the local community and feel fulfilment in ‘giving back’
Working under the supervision of Grand Junction staff, Visitor Experience volunteers will:
- Offer guests a warm welcome to Grand Junction, and signpost visitors around the building
- Chat with visitors and offer information about our What’s On programme, and promote other activities and events at Grand Junction
- Update our ‘What’s on today’ screens and community noticeboards
- Prepare chairs and tables in the Activities Studio for community workshops
- Provide brief information about the building and its history
- Keep accurate records of visitor numbers to Grand Junction
- Support visitors to complete a visitor experience feedback survey
- Subscribe visitors to the Grand Junction mailing list, with their consent
- Ensure that information leaflets are kept well stocked and displayed for the public
- Help to ensure that guests have a safe and enjoyable visit to our community space by monitoring health and safety considerations, including inspecting visitor facilities
- Promote volunteering opportunities at Grand Junction
- Assisting with administration tasks
Grand Junction is currently open to the public Mondays and Wednesdays, offering a range of cultural events and community activities. There may also sometimes be events scheduled outside of these hours including weekends and evenings that you would be welcome to get involved in if interested. We ask for a commitment of 3 hours per week, Mon or Wed, 10:00 - 13:00 or 13:00 - 16:00, with a level of flexibility.