We're looking for volunteer befrienders to join our Positive Ageing programme. With an ageing population, more and more older people are at risk of isolation and loneliness as partners and friends pass away, family members move away and the community around them changes at a fast pace.
We match volunteers and befriendees to share time, laughter, and joy through regular meet-ups, usually once a week. Each friendship on the programme is unique and different – some pairs head out to explore local community spots, others enjoy staying in for a cup of tea and a chat. We also offer telephone befriending for those who’d prefer a phone conversation.
- Visit or call an older person once a week or every fortnight for up to an hour
- Spend time getting to know them and understand what things they may like to do at home (e.g. chess, knitting, reading)
- Offer fun conversation and encourage them to talk
- Support them to get out in the community
- Accompany them on visits out of the home e.g. going for a walk, shopping
- Support them to find information
- Send simple monthly reports about how it's going
Our Befriending Officers will be your main point of contact for training and ongoing support.