This is an exciting opportunity to join IRMO and be part of the Latin American Youth Forum (LAYF). LAYF is a youth-led group based at IRMO for migrant and refugee young people aged 13-19 where activities are offered in a trilingual space (Spanish, Portuguese and English). LAYF ensures that everyone can feel safe and supported to overcome barriers and find their feet in the UK.
At LAYF young people can:
- Learn English through fun and engaging weekly ESOL (English for Speakers of Other Languages) classes.
- Learn new skills and get inspired through weekly educational, art and theme-based workshops.
- Get support to access education, volunteer and employment opportunities through a targeted mentoring programme.
- Lead the LAYF Youth Steering Group, learn about leadership and inspire other Spanish and Portuguese-speaking young people.
- Explore London and its surrounding through cultural trips and residentials.
The LAYF Volunteer Mentor will deliver a programme of 8-12 mentoring sessions focusing on the personal, educational and professional development of each mentee. They must be fluent in Spanish or Portuguese, and English and have availability to support young people on weekdays during out-of-school hours. The sessions can take place at IRMO or remotely as it’s most convenient for the mentee.