On the edge of Hampstead Heath surrounded by tranquil landscaped gardens, Kenwood is one of London's hidden gems. The breath-taking interiors and stunning world-class art collection, including Rembrandt's 'Portrait with Two Circles' are free for everyone to enjoy.
We are looking for friendly and enthusiastic people to help our visitors to understand and enjoy their visit to Kenwood House, and help us to bring this magnificent site to life.
Based in the magnificent rooms at Kenwood House you will:
- Provide a warm and friendly welcome for all visitors
- Help preserve and protect the collection
- Tell stories about the House, Estate or collection, both engaging visitors individually and helping with tours and family trails
- Increase your knowledge of the House, Estate and collection through training, special events, personal and peer-learning
As a result you'll be expected to learn:
- Knowledge of local heritage
- Experience communicating with diverse audiences
- Experiences in storytelling, and presentation skills, with the opportunity to develop and lead talks and tours once they have been with us for some time
We also have many benefits for our volunteers – access to English Heritage sites and other heritage sites across the UK, discounts at specific retailers, belonging to a vibrant and diverse community and access to exciting opportunities such as talks and tours, and special visits to other historical collections and locations.
No prior knowledge is required. We will give you all the information you need to be successful in this role. This will include:
• Content-focused training, focused on the architecture of the House, the historic landscape, and our collections.
• General induction about the English Heritage volunteer programme and how to support positive visitor experiences
• Site induction, including clear guidance on how to address security or safety issues
• AM shift: 9:45am-1:30pm
• AM Break cover shift 10:45am-1pm
• PM shift: 1:15pm-5pm
• Break cover shift 2pm-4:15pm