If you are looking for a 1:1 patient contact volunteering experience or want to engage in a meaningful project, this could be the ideal opportunity for you. Ideal for anyone wishing to pursue a career in the health sector or anyone from the community wishing to support people with serious illness!.
As a member of the Empowered Living Team (ELT) the volunteers role would be to assist in the delivery of therapy to patients in Newham, Tower Hamlets and City & Hackney to enable them to live their lives with as much independence and quality of life that is possible. .
ELT volunteers will be matched to a particular patient and will see them at that patient’s home or in a local clinic on a regular basis for a set number of weeks
This may include tasks such as:
- Visiting patients in their homes to provide support of their therapy, as prescribed by a palliative care professional and within the scope of the volunteers training and competencies.
- Supervising a patient to do an exercise programme or practice physical activities, or providing a patient with massage/relaxation.
- Talking to patients about some of their worries/concerns/thoughts
- Completion of visiting records and documentation of activities undertaken with patient/carer
- Working closely with a supervising health professional
- Engaging with patients, their carers, and the team
• Palliative Care
• Visiting a patient in their home
• Coping with difficult situations
• Counselling and listening skills
• Complementary therapy (massage/relaxation)
• Moving and Handling
• Communication skills
• Emotional Resilience In addition to the initial training volunteer will have access to training in specific areas of speciality such as: Shortness of breath, Pain, Reduced Mobility, anxiety and fatigue.