Calthorpe Community Garden (CCG), based in King’s Cross, is an asset of community value, innovative and unique in London. As an inner city community garden and centre of 1.2acres it exists to improve the physical and emotional wellbeing of those who live, work or study in Camden and surrounding areas. Supporting children, young people and vulnerable groups in the community, CCG proudly offers a range of participatory and supervised creative, wellbeing, horticultural and sporting activities for people to meet and take care of each other and the environment, as well as programmes generating vital revenue. We are active members of a wide range of local, Camden and London-wide partnerships. As part of our facilities and educational offering, we have a compost scheme that includes 5 different composting techniques and host an active composting community whose members can bring their household kitchen waste to the garden.
We are searching for reliable and trustworthy volunteers interested in sustainability, closed loop systems, zero waste and/or gardening to work on our composting systems. To be successful as a volunteer, you should demonstrate active listening and problem-solving skills. Outstanding volunteers should be diligent, meticulous, and take pride in their work.
You will gain valuable experience and training on a live closed loop system Your assistance allows us to keep our garden up and running, and to deliver essential services for vulnerable groups in our community.
You give us the chance to educate the population about the crucial role that gardens such as ours play in urban areas, and to increase understanding of our environmental responsibility
- Processing the food waste that we collect so that it can be used in our different composting systems
- Keeping and maintaining the processing and composting facilities tidy and in good working order.
- Processing compost and fertiliser liquid so to be used in the garden.
- Other gardening tasks where we are utilising garden byproducts to keep the garden looking its best or support our food growing efforts.
- Upholding the organisation’s values
- Understanding your role and responsibilities as well as the rules and safety regulations of the organisation.
- Completing the relevant training and asking questions if you are uncertain about anything.
- Completing all duties assigned by the supervisor and reporting any issues immediately.
- Observing the rules and safety regulations of the organisation while carrying out tasks.
- Arriving on time for duty and remaining professional in your interactions with all stakeholders.
- Making recommendations for improvement where feasible and appropriate.