Everything you need to know about the General Election Find out more

If you have found that you have nowhere to stay or you are at risk of becoming homeless, support and help finding somewhere to live is available.

Advice Service @ Students' Union UCL

If you need support with emergency accommodation, please contact us via our contact form. We can signpost you to relevant sources of support, and can refer you into an emergency accommodation process at the University if you are eligible.

Where possible this process would look to find you a room in UCL Accommodation and if you have no access to, or ability to fund, long or short term accommodation, would also support you to apply to financial hardship funds (either UCL's Financial Assistance Fund or our Sarah Douglas Hardship Fund), to cover the rent. There aren't many rooms available in UCL Accommodation in September and October, but we can still help you look at your options.

How can we help?

We don't have access to free accommodation, but whether you are facing eviction, sleeping rough or sofa surfing, our advisors will always listen and try to identify as many options as possible so you can decide your next steps. Our support is optional, so you can stop using it whenever you want to and we won't force you into anything.

Please note, we cannot provide short term or immediate accommodation.

Where else can I get help?

Contact friends or family

Is there is someone you trust who you could ask to stay with for a few nights? We recognise that this is not an option for everyone, but having somewhere safe to stay for a short time could help you focus on finding a long term solution.

Contact the council

Your local council may have a legal duty to help you with finding accommodation, if you are eligible. Use Shelter's eligibility checker to see if you can get help from your council.

Contact charities

There are a number of charities that can offer advice and information if you are homeless. Here are a few:

  • Centrepoint provides support and assistance to young people aged 16 to 25 who are homeless, or facing homelessness.
  • Shelter provides housing and homelessness information and advice to those in need. For advice, call their freephone number 0808 800 4444 (08:00 – 20:00 weekdays, 08:00 – 17:00 weekends), which is available 365 days a year.
  • Depaul UK specialises in supporting young people aged 16-25. Their Nightstop London programme places young people who have no where to stay in trained volunteers' spare rooms for a night.
  • New Horizon Youth Centre give housing advice and support to get helps from other services, like the council. Their day centre is based in King's Cross (68 Chalton Street, NW1 1JR) and open Monday to Friday, 10.30 - 16.00 (closed between 13.30 - 14.00).
  • If you are sleeping rough in London, StreetLink can pass the information you provide about where you are sleeping and what time you are there to a street outreach team to help them find you.

Short term accommodation

Hostels and Hotels

You may think about paying for temporary housing if you have money to do so. In London, there are numerous hotels and hostels; hotels are more expensive, and hostel rooms are typically shared with other guests. Here are some websites you could use:



You may find you need to arrange this type of accommodation while you look for long term accommodation, when you first arrive in London or at the end of your studies.

Disclaimer: The details given are for information purposes only. Inclusion on the listing does not constitute a recommendation by the Students' Union UCL.

UCL Accommodation

As of 28/11/2023, UCL Accommodation have rooms available across several sites and price points. There are a range of rooms available from January with weekly rents ranging from £216 to £305.

You can join the waiting list through the UCL Accommodation Portal.

All rooms will be allocated based on availability, maximum week rate and stated preferences. However, there is no guarantee that your preferred choice of room will be available.

University of London Accommodation Office

You can also contact the University of London Accommodation Office who provide information about intercollegiate accommodation.

I'm struggling to pay for my accommodation

Firstly, speak to your landlord or letting agent. They may agree to a payment plan or you could ask for a temporary rent reduction. Your landlord may be more likely to agree to a temporary rent reduction if you explain your situation and show you will have more income soon, for example through a new job or receiving hardship funds. Shelter have helpful information on how to negotiate a rent reduction.

After speaking to your landlord, if you need some financial support to help pay for accommodation, you can apply to the Sarah Douglas Hardship Fund. Grants of up to £3000 are available, depending on your individual circumstances.

If you think you may be eligible, you will need to demonstrate that you are experiencing unexpected financial difficulties and you have a shortfall in funding to cover your living costs. If you are interested, we can book you an appointment with a Money and Budgeting Advisor to talk through the application.