Celebrate Black History Month with this amazing Yam and Corned Beef Stew. Here's how you can make it.
Yam and Corned Beef Stew
Prep time 20 min Cook time 1 hour Serves 3 to 4
Things you need:
|1 cassava yam|
1 can (8-oz) of plum or chopped tomatoes
1/2 cup of sunflower oil
|2 fresh Scotch bonnet pepper|
1 can of corned beef
2 canned sardines in sunflower oil
Here's how: Corned Beef Stew
- Pour 1/2 a cup of sunflower oil into a pot and put on medium heat for 1-2 mins for the oil to heat up.
- Dice half an onion and add to the pot once the oil is hot enough.
- Blend the canned tomato, 2 scotch bonnet peppers and the other onion half. Pour into the pot once the onions have browned a bit.
- Wait 15-20 minutes for the stew to simmer.
- Add the canned sardines and wait 5 minutes.
- Add the corned beef in the stew. Using a tablespoon scoop the corned beef and place it in the stew bit by bit.
- Add salt and/or powdered chili according to taste.
- Wait 5-10 minutes.
- Mix 5 eggs in a bowl so that the whites and yolk are combined.
- Slowly pour the egg mixture into the stew making sure not to pour the mixture in only one section of the stew.
- Wait 10-15 minutes stirring the stew every few minutes but making sure not to break up the egg in the stew.
Here's how: Yams (Boiled)
- Remove the skin of the yam and cut up into small pieces (each piece is shaped in a semi-circle).
- Rinse the yam pieces in water.
- Place the yam in a pot and pour enough boiled water to only just cover the yam.
- Add one teaspoon of salt.
- Turn on the stove to medium-high heat.
- Leave to boil on the stove until the yam is soft and tender (approximately 20 minutes or more).
- Drain the hot water.
4-5 pieces of the cassava yam along with the stew serves 1.
You can eat the stew with rice instead of boiled yam.