Telefriends volunteers are matched with an older person and commit to making a regular weekly phone call. The volunteers offer older people companionship company and conversation over the phone. This service covers the London Borough of Camden and is for older people experiencing loneliness and isolation.
"The support that AgeUK Camden provide to their Telefriends is second to none. If I have something I’d like to raise, or have any concerns or worries, I only have to send an email, and they are happy to arrange a chat over the phone. The organisation also schedules regular early evening Zoom events for all their volunteers, where we can meet each other and AgeUK Camden staff virtually to share experiences and ask questions.
"I would encourage anyone who is able to, to be a part of this valuable and enjoyable activity. It’s really nice to get to know someone new and I very much look forward to my weekly chats."
Judith Hillmore, UCL staff member and Telefriends volunteer at Age UK Camden
- Be in a position to commit to the role for up to a year.
- Agree to call the older person at a time agreed with them and us
- Our volunteers call at times between 10.00 – 18.30, Monday-Sunday
- Put aside that time to make the call free from distractions and in a place that is confidential and quiet.
- Make this weekly commitment with consistency and reliability