Election Supporting Statement (Manifesto) Guide
Your candidate support statement, sometimes referred to as a manifesto, should simply state what you plan to do in your role and what changes you would make. It isn't an excuse to bad mouth your opposition, or make unrealistic promises. Think about what you can achieve and what other students would respond to well. You might want to talk to current students, look at previous manifestos and review student surveys.
Some Top Tips for Writing your Manifesto:
- Be concise and use clear language. Avoid long, complicated words - you won't win awards for being clever and you might just alienate important voters.
- Set out your previous experience and how this will help you if you got elected.
- Set out your goals for your time in office and ensure they are realistic and achievable.
- Your manifesto is about you and not your opponents. Don't waste words trying to discredit them.
- Talk about your skills that would indicate to voters your suitability for the role.
- It doesn't have to be long - in fact it shouldn't be. Short and sweet works best. You're only allowed 200 words that will be displayed to voters on the website.
- Be creative and inspiring.
Once you have drafted your manifesto, feel free to run it past us if you would like some feedback.
If you require further guidance contact [email protected]
Sample Manifesto Template
We want to make writing your manifestos as easy as possible so we've put together a simple guide you can use to get yours together. You don't have to use the format, but feel free to if it helps.
Hi, My name is......and I am running for the position(s) of........because........
My experience and skills:
I have experience in.......and have developed the following skills.......I believe these make me an ideal candidate.
What I plan to do if elected:
If elected I would aim to:
- Objective 1 (e.g. hold a new series of events aimed at getting more people involved in X to increase outreach and reputation)
- Objective 2 (e.g. increase social activity by running weekly socials in different venues across London)
- Objective 3 (e.g. increase funding by seeking out new sponsorship opportunities)
I think these aims will have a positive impact on X because.....
Thank you for reading my manifesto and feel free to get in contact with me to ask my any questions about my ideas by contacting me at.......